13 December 2018
Above photos courtesy of Eltham District Historical Society.
We are delighted to hear that Heritage Victoria has accepted a nomination for the Eltham War Memorial buildings to be included in the Victorian Heritage Register.
Acceptance of the nomination is the start of a process which will now go on to include:
- an assessment of the nomination by a Heritage Victoria officer
- a recommendation by the Executive Director on whether the Heritage Council should include the place in the Victorian Heritage Register
- public notice of the ED’s recommendation and 60 days when public submissions can be made on the recommendation
- a hearing by the Heritage Council, if requested
- a decision by the Heritage Council whether to include the place in the Victorian Heritage Register.
Eltham Infant Welfare Centre in 1954. Photo courtesy of Eltham District Historical Society.
Eltham Infant Welfare Centre in 2018
Acceptance of the nomination means that NSC is legally obliged, before entering into a contract for the sale of 903-907 Main Road, Eltham, to inform the prospective purchaser of the nomination and of any deferral of consideration of the nomination.
Whilst nomination in itself does not provide protection of the buildings, Heritage Victoria is aware that NSC is considering selling or developing the site on which these buildings are located and encourages interested parties to let them know if anyone becomes aware of activities that may threaten the cultural heritage significance of the buildings. Heritage Victoria can be reached on 03 9938 6894 or [email protected]