A packed hall with 300-350 people attending heard the official speakers and wonderful contributions of personal stories from the audience on Saturday. The resolution passed was :
1. This meeting has no confidence in Nillumbik Shire Council’s proposed process for the re-development of 895 and 903-907 Main Rd, Eltham and we deplore the cursory attention given to public consultation to date.
2. We call on Council:
- to preserve the Eltham War Memorial building complex at 903-907 Main Rd, Eltham, and retain their existing uses in accordance with the Eltham War Memorial Trust purpose; and retain the Cenotaph and Eltham Senior Citizens’ Centre.
- to retain council ownership of all land at 895 and 903-907 Main Rd, Eltham for our community and future generations.
- following meaningful engagement with residents of the Shire, to place sufficient planning controls on the site of the former Eltham Shire Office to ensure that any future development of that land responds to Eltham’s form and character and properly protects public amenity, access and use.
- to make all proposals for the development of 895 and 903-907 Main Rd, Eltham available for public inspection as soon as they are received by Council.
Moved: Greg Johnson
Seconder: Andrew Lemon
* there were a handful of abstentions but all who voted did so unanimously in support of the resolution.